Van Nuys is a district and neighborhood in the central San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, California.
Van Nuys is adjacent with North Hills on the north, Panorama City on the northeast, Valley Glen on the east, Sherman Oaks on the south, Sepulveda Basin on the southwest, Lake Balboa on the west and Northridge on the northwest.
According to the United States 2000 census there were 103,770 inhabitants in the 8.99-square-mile neighborhood or 11,542 people per square mile. The median age was 28, considered young for both county and city. The population number raised up to 110,747 by 2008.
The neighborhood was moderately diverse with the breakdown; Latinos, 60.5%; whites, 23.1%; Asians, 6.4%; blacks, 6%; and others, 4%.
In 2008 median yearly household income was $41,134 an average figure for city but low for the county. Average household earned $40,000 or less which was a high figure for the county. Renters occupied most portions of housing stock, apartments and houses 73.9% whereas the owners held 26.1%.
By 2000, 15% population aged 25 and older had earned a four-year degree which is considered average for both the city and the county. The Los Angeles Unified School District serves Van Nuys. Public schools in Van Nuys are:
- Van Nuys Senior High School, 6535 Cedros Avenue
- Cohasset Street Elementary School, 15810 Saticoy Street
- Robert Fulton College Preparatory School, 7477 Kester Avenue
- Valerio Street Elementary School, 15035 Valerio Street
- Hazeltine Avenue Elementary School, 7150 Hazeltine Avenue
- Bassett Street Elementary School, 15756 Bassett Street
- Columbus Avenue Elementary School, 6700 Columbus Avenue
- Van Nuys Elementary School, 6464 Sylmar Avenue
- Will Rogers Continuation School, 14711 Gilmore Street
- Sylvan Park Elementary School, 6238 Noble Avenue
- Vista Middle School, 15040 Roscoe Boulevard
- Van Nuys Adult School, 6535 Cerdos Avenue
- NVOC- Aviation Center, 16550 Saticoy Street
- Charter High School of Arts — Multimedia and Performing, 6952 Van Nuys Boulevard
Private schools in the neighborhood are;
- Pacific Ridge School, 15339 Saticoy Street
- Pinecrest Schools — Van Nuys, 14111 Sherman Way
- Valley School / Individual Train, elementary, 15700 Sherman Way
- Crossroads School, 6843 Lennox Avenue
- St. Elisabeth School, elementary, 6635 Tobias Avenue
- Grace Christian Academy, 6510 Peach Avenue
- The Crawford Academy, 14530 Sylvan Street
- Children’s Community School, 14702 Sylvan Street
Los Angeles Public Library operates Van Nuys Branch.
The neighborhood is being served by a busiest Airport, its 25th busiest airport in the United States. The community includes a terminal for the Van Nuys FlyAway Bus service, which travels from Van Nuys to Los Angeles International Airport.
The Van Nuys Recreation Area offers an auditorium and gymnasium with a capacity of 420 people. The area also has a multipurpose/community room with a capacity of 20–25 people. Barbecue pits, lighted baseball diamonds, lighted outdoor basketball courts, a children’s play area, a community room, lighted handball courts, an indoor gymnasium with no weights, picnic tables, a lighted soccer field, and lighted tennis courts.
Delano Park in Van Nuys has an auditorium, barbecue pits, a lighted baseball diamond, lighted outdoor basketball courts, a children’s play area, a lighted football field, lighted handball courts, an indoor gymnasium with no weights, picnic tables, and a lighted soccer field.