Northridge, Los Angeles, California

Northridge, home of California State University, is a neighborhood of San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, California. The neighborhood got the new name in 1929 as it was replaced with the former name Zelzah.

Northridge is flanked by Porter Ranch and Granada Hills on the north, in the east North Hills, Van Nuys on the southeast, in the south Lake Balboa and Reseda and Winnetka and Chatsworth on the west.

As per the 2000 U.S. census 57,561 was the total population in the 9.47-square-mile Northridge neighborhood or 6,080 people per square mile with median age 32, making the neighborhood in one of the lowest population densities for the city. In 2008, the number increased to 61,993. The neighborhood has relatively higher amount of Asian people. The breakdown was whites, 49.5%; Latinos, 26.1%; Asians, 14.5%; blacks, 5.4%; and others, 4.6%.

In 2008, median per year household income was $67,906 which is considered high for the city. Almost even number of the housing stock, house or apartments were occupied by owners and renters as owners held 53.6% whereas renters held the remaining 46.4% with the average household size of 2.7 people. A high percentage of military veterans were part of the neighborhood in 2000, the number was 3,803 which was 8.5% of the population at that time.

By 2000, 34% of the population was aged 25 and older had earned a four-year degree. California State University, Northridge, or CSUN offers several disciplines for a bachelor’s and master’s degree. Los Angeles Unified School District serves the neighborhood as there are eleven public and eight private schools established in the neighborhood. The list of public schools are as follows:

  • Andasol Avenue Elementary School, 10126 Encino Avenue
  • Alfred Bernhard Nobel Middle School, 9950 Tampa Avenue
  • Topeka Drive Elementary School, 9815 Topeka Drive
  • Balboa Gifted / High Ability Magnet Elementary School, alternative, 17020 Labrador Street
  • Northridge Academy High School, 9601 Zelzah Avenue
  • Oliver Wendell Holmes Middle School, 9351 Paso Robles Avenue
  • Dearborn Street Elementary School, 9240 Wish Avenue
  • Calahan Street Elementary School, 18722 Knapp Street
  • Napa Street Elementary School, 19010 Napa Street
  • Northridge Middle School, 17960 Chase Street
  • Parthenia Street Elementary School, 16825 Napa Street

The Private schools are:

  • Casa Montessori, 17633 Lassen Street
  • Our Lady of Lourdes, 18437 Superior Street
  • Highland Hall Waldorf School, K-12, 17100 Superior Street
  • Art of Learning Academy, 9535 Alden Avenue
  • St. Nicholas School, elementary, 9501 Balboa Boulevard
  • First Presbyterian Church of Granada Hill, elementary, 10400 Zelzah Avenue
  • Cornerstone Christian Academy, 11031 Yolanda Avenue
  • East Valley Academy, K-12, 20212 Londelius Street

Population of Northridge has approach to a municipal recreation center and a public swimming pool. The center has an indoor gymnasium, without weights, barbecue pits, a lighted baseball diamond, lighted indoor basketball courts, lighted outdoor basketball courts, a children’s play area, a community room, picnic tables, a lighted soccer field, and lighted tennis courts. The Northridge Pool, on the recreation center grounds, is an outdoor heated seasonal pool. Dearborn Park is the other unstaffed, unlocked park which offers lighted outdoor basketball courts, a children’s play area, picnic tables, and lighted tennis courts. Vanalden Park is another unstaffed pocket park with a horseshoe pit, a jogging path, and picnic tables.